Moving house can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, but it doesn’t have to be. By creating and sticking to a comprehensive checklist, you can ensure that everything is taken care of and that your move goes as smoothly as possible. Here’s your ultimate moving house checklist for North London:
Doing the Paperwork & Admin Tasks
- Hire a reputable removals company and check their insurance coverage
- Notify relevant parties (utility companies, banks, doctors, dentists, post office) of your move
- Notify your landlord of your move and schedule an end-of-tenancy inspection
- Update your address with the DVLA
- Make sure you have all the necessary keys and parking permits for moving day
- Prepare a list of important documents that you need to carry with you on moving day
- Check if you need to change your postal address for other services like magazine subscriptions, online shopping etc.
- Prepare a list of things that you need to cancel/transfer like your gym membership, insurance, etc.
- Make a final check of your old property to ensure you haven’t left anything behind
- Prepare a moving budget and stick to it.
Preparing to Move
- Start decluttering and decide what to keep, sell, or donate
- Create a packing plan and label all boxes with their contents and the room they belong in
- Make arrangements for any necessary repairs in your current property
- Make arrangements for your pets and plants during the move
- Disconnect and safely pack away all appliances, such as your fridge, washing machine, and oven
- Purchase or acquire enough packing materials such as cardboard boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, and furniture covers
- Make a list of items you want to take with you on moving day
- Organize your closet and drawers for an easy move
- Pack essentials bags for moving day
- Make a list of items that you need to buy for your new home.
- Wake up early and have breakfast
- Meet the removals company at your old property at the agreed time
- Double check that all items are loaded onto the van
- Take a final walkthrough of your old property to ensure nothing is left behind
- Travel to your new property and supervise the unloading of your belongings
- Make sure that all items are in the right room
- Check for any damages to your belongings or the new property
- Make sure that all appliances are reconnected and working
- Unpack essentials bags and take a rest
- Take a final walkthrough of your new property to ensure everything is in order.
What to do once you’ve moved in:
- Unpack and organize your belongings
- Clean your new home before you start unpacking
- Set up your bed and make sure you have somewhere to sleep on the first night
- Start to set up your new home, including hanging pictures and curtains
- Register with your local GP and dentist
- Register for council tax and other local services
- Connect your utility services like electricity, gas, and internet
- Update your address for online services and subscriptions
- Meet your new neighbors and explore the local area
- Take a break and relax after the move.
In conclusion, moving house in North London can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, but it doesn’t have to be. By following the ultimate moving house checklist provided above, you can ensure that everything is taken care of and that your move goes as smoothly as possible. It’s important to start preparing well in advance, by hiring a reputable removal company, decluttering, creating a packing plan, and making all necessary arrangements. On moving day, make sure to double-check that all items are loaded onto the van, supervise the unloading of your belongings, and take a final walkthrough of your new property to ensure everything is in order. Once you’ve moved in, take the time to unpack and organize your belongings, set up your new home, and explore your new surroundings. Remember to take it one step at a time, stay organized, and don’t hesitate to ask for help if you need it. With the right planning and preparation, your move to North London can be a positive and exciting experience.